Thursday, May 19, 2011

'Scuse me for having a work ethic

I'm about 6 weeks into my new job and it's frustratingly boring. I work for a sub-contractor and I don't know if they get paid by the body or what but it does not take five full time people to do what my department does. Pass information back and forth, fill out a few Excel spreadsheets (half of which all say the same damn thing). I could do 2 or maybe even 3 other people's job in my dept to fill an 8 hour day.

We had our weekly meeting today, one of them anyway, and the boss asks me point blank if I have enough work to do. I say "I could use some more work." and I get the stink eye from the WHOLE meeting. Excuse me for hating sitting around and doing nothing for half the day. It might be a little different if I had full run of the internet to keep me entertained but it's monitored closely and I can't stream music or TV or anything. There's only so much Solitaire a girl can play before she goes mad!

Also, their processes are so inefficient! It's hard for me to be purposefully inefficient, it's not how my brain works. I'm paid well, too well, for the level of work I do but I just don't know if this place is a good fit for me. I don't know if I should just shut up and accept a decent paying but super boring job, and next time I'm asked if I have enough work, lie about it? Or start looking for something else that may or may not be any better for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment