Saturday, May 7, 2011

Pearls Before Swine


Nov 26, 2010

There's a comic strip, some of you may know it, "Pearls Before Swine" some time ago there was a strip with the characters Rat and Pig. I identify with Rat quite often. Not his scheming and taking advantage of people but his general view that people are shit. The strip went something like this:
Pig: What are you doing Rat?
Rat: I'm dividing all of humanity into two lists: 'People I don't like' and 'People I can't stand'.
Pig: That's very cynical Rat, you should make a third list of people you like and give it a nice little title.
Rat: Hmm, you're right... FUTURE DISAPPOINTMENTS
I'm reminded too often of this theme. Most recently (and currently) a friend from MD who I've known for years is visiting FL, about an hour away from me and has made no effort to visit or call. Her in-laws live here and so she's here with her husband (who I also counted as a friend) are here for the holiday weekend visiting.  I would never expect or presume to take a whole day of their time away from the family visits but they're hanging around Downtown Disney today and going to see Cirque du Soleil, according to her FB posts. Even if they didn't want to go out of their way to come to Palm Bay to see me, it's nothing to for me to go to Orlando and spend a few hours visiting with them.  I've always wanted to see a Cirque show too.
I've always thought I was a good friend, my friends seem to be fairly self-sufficient so I don't get many opportunities to prove it but I'm there when they need anything. And there are really none I feel like I can count on or that care about me and it makes me angry.
And yet, there's a part of me that hopes they'll show up at my door out of the blue to surprise me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment