Friday, May 6, 2011

OK, I'll write about it too


Sep 11, 2010

So it's 9/11 again.  When I recall that day odd things come to mind. I was working for a large national credit card company customer service dept in MD.  No radios or TV or internet at all. We got the news from customers who happened to be on the phone at the time. News and rumors spread around the cubicles of hits at the WTC, Pentagon, Sears Tower and more.  Someone found a radio and we listened for ourselves.  They sent us all home early, me and a friend/coworker (Gina) went to another nearby friend/coworker's house whose shift hadn't started yet. I remember as we're watching TV, Gina was trying to call her doctor's office to get an appointment that day. I couldn't believe what an idiot she was and how oblivious she was being to the seriousness of the situation. She always was kind of a flake, I shouldn't have been surprised. I had extended family in NY so I was hoping they were ok. That's all I remember from the day itself. 
Within the next couple of days at work our computer desktop images were all automatically changed to an American flag with big golden letters that read "God Bless America". Company-wide they had done this, I walked into my manager's office and asked how long they planned on leaving that up there and she said I think indefinitely.  My response was "Well I'm an atheist and I don't want to look at that all day." She sat there stunned for a bit, I am usually a quiet, understated person but I wasn't going to have that forced on me for 8 hours a day. She stammered out something and sent me back to my cube. The next day the text was changed to simply "America" with the flag in the background. Which I was of course happy with and quite proud that I might have actually enacted some kind of change.
Sadly, the following month they announced they were also canceling the usual Halloween festivities probably due to people at the opposite end of the spectrum. And that was lame.

No comments:

Post a Comment