Sep 25, 2010
Back from the first women's wellness group meeting. Everyone was nice, only half the RSVPs showed up which would irritate the hell out of me if I was hosting, actually it did irritate me because I made way too much food and now have to eat pasta salad for the rest of the week. It's good and healthy but still gonna get sick of it.
Anyway, it was all about nutrition, I didn't really learn anything new, my nutrition is just fine. I know I fall prey to processed foods too much and high sodium comes with that. Small budget, small kitchen, little storage and little prep space are my current excuses for that, that and cooking fresh food for one isn't usually worth the trouble. Why go through the trouble of getting a chicken breast, marinating it or breading it, dirtying a bunch of dishes when I can just pull a frozen patty from the freezer and put it on a piece of foil in the oven?
A lot of her other points were kind of popular scare tactic diet food nonsense. "Artificial sweeteners are carcinogens", there will always be studies on both sides of that argument, I haven't done my own research but I think the rats or whatever was used to test were given the equivalent of 50 cans of diet soda a day... I don't know, it was something ridiculous. She also went on and on about genetically modified foods and how bad they are. This is something I have done some research on and she clearly didn't. She started with the GM salmon that's been in the news lately. Her main point was wondering what they fed it to make it grow faster and bigger, and then we eat that and it gets excreted and into the ecosystem. False. It's not hormone fed like what's done with other meats currently on the market. It's done on the GENETIC LEVEL. I'm all for GM foods personally, better nutrition, better yield, better disease and pest resistance so you don't have to use all those chemicals and additives to make it better. Farmers have been breeding food--vegetables, fruits, livestock, all of it-- to be better, for centuries. You see one plant that produces better than another, you use its seeds next year. Now we can do what took many generations and many seasons much faster. It's called progress people. And it's good. Woo, that rant went longer than I planned. But I didn't bring any of this up at the meeting, it was her show and the first time meeting them so I zipped it.
So back to the meeting...I don't know if I'll meet with them often, they do different things but they're all at least 10 years older than me, which is a problem I keep running into when I try to socialize. I guess most women my age still have young children to take care of and husbands they're not sick of yet so they stay at home. These women mostly had teenagers or kids in their 20's, some kept complaining that they were texted 10 times during the 3 hour meeting about when were they coming home, no wonder they need the escape of the group meetups.
Interesting that I need meetups because my life is too empty and they need it because theirs too full...
No comments:
Post a Comment