Saturday, May 7, 2011

Kitchen skills


Mar 1, 2011

Lots of cooking done lately. Used up the last five kumquats on my little tree to make a granita full of citrusy goodness. Just the whole fruits with seeds removed, some lemon juice, simple syrup and carbonated water (which I don't think made any difference in the final frozen product). I wish I had an ice cream maker to get a smoother sorbet-like texture but the granita is still tasty.
Brussels sprouts with bacon, balsamic vinegar and honey. So good. I used turkey bacon because that's what I prefer, much less fat of course. Brussels may be my favorite vegetable, so under-appreciated but so tasty if you treat them right.
And a Moroccan Tagine, except I hate to call it that because it wasn't made in a tagine so it's really just a stew I guess. Butternut squash, carrots, chick peas and onions spiced with cumin, curry, mustard and paprika. I was too lazy to thaw out the chicken the recipe called for, but I made a bunch of other changes anyway and it's delicious.
Tomorrow I may try my hand at homemade soft pretzels.

No comments:

Post a Comment